Sibson's Strategic Workforce Planning (SWP) methodology provides forecasting, planning and analytics to help business leaders anticipate the type, number and quality of talent they need to execute their business strategy.
Aligning Your People and Business Strategies
While we bring a proven approach to SWP we don't bring packaged solutions. Sibson will partner with you to diagnose, design and deploy a customized SWP process:
- Diagnose — No matter where your organization is in implementing SWP, we can help you identify your organization's level of readiness, current capability gaps and the actions needed to move forward
- Design — We can help you develop a customized SWP process or redesign your current processes to better align your business strategy and HR capabilities
- Deploy — Our experienced SWP consultants will partner with you to implement a customized process that is supported and driven by data and analytics. Whether it be functional pilot programs or enterprise-wide initiatives, we'll provide the guidance and training you need to succeed.
Translate Your Business Strategy Into a Talent Strategy
Sibson's methodology can help your organization prepare for:
- New business ventures
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Penetration of new markets and globalization
- Shifts in technology and competitive landscapes
- Change in business models
- Aging workforce and other demographic changes
- Skill set shortages
Implementing a robust SWP process will produce short- and long-term results. A successful strategic workforce strategy and plan will:
- Align your business strategy with talent needs
- Serve as a decision-making tool for senior management
- Reinforce HR's role as a proactive strategic partner
Our SWP approach has four key steps:
- Determining the type of talent required to execute your business strategy. We can help you identify the organizational capabilities, roles and skills required to achieve your strategic objectives and your business needs so you can invest your resources in the roles that have the highest value and return.
- Quantifying the future talent needs of your organization. We'll show you how to analyze your workforce needs so that you can make data and fact-based predictions.
- Defining and prioritizing talent gaps. Our integrated approach to determining talent shortages enables you to identify and manage risks, realize economies of scale and weigh the cost of building versus buying skills.
- Identifying and documenting the actions and investments needed to align your people strategy with business objectives. We will assist you in formalizing the actions and investments needed to ensure that your organization has the right people, in the right places, at the right time to execute your strategy and deliver results.
Transforming Workforce Data Into Actionable Insights
Sibson's analysis enables organizations to capture the data from the SWP process, conduct analysis and quantify and validate human capital decisions. When appropriate, we implement the Talent4SightTM web-based tool, which is hosted externally and requires no IT integration, as well as other analytics tools to provide adaptive data modeling that HR and line executives can use to answer questions, such as:
- What are the roles and skills needed?
- What is the total number of people needed each year to execute the business strategy?
- What is the capability and proficiency of staff in those roles?
Staffing Due to Churn/Growth
Total Planned Headcount
The analytical tools we use enable reporting at divisional, functional or enterprise levels and allow you to determine:
- Aggregate talent gap size due to turnover, retirement and transfers/redeployment
- A talent acquisition strategy that includes the number of people to be hired, developed and trained
- When the organization should address talent gaps
- The cost of developing talent internally versus buying external talent
- Salary, benefits and acquisition costs of closing talent gaps
For more information view our SWP approach.