Senior Vice President, Chicago
Mr. Conlon has nearly 20 years experience consulting on human resource issues with a wide variety of organizations and industries both domestically and internationally. His clients have included service, manufacturing, government and health care organizations. His principal focus is enabling organizations to successfully deploy human capital to create competitive advantage and sustain success.
Recent examples of his work include:
- For a major metals manufacturer: Led the talent review of the senior executive population and developed the succession approach to the CEO and COO positions. Worked extensively with the Board of Directors to determine desired future state leadership characteristics, degree of fit within the current organization, and appropriate timing for succession.
- For a major automotive manufacturer: Led the broad-based review and organizational redesign of the company around core processes. Managed a multidisciplinary consulting team to ensure alignment with customer needs, efficiency of the new organization model, and the repositioning of the human resource function as a strategic partner.
- For a leading energy company: Led a review of strategic intent of the organization and subsequent restaffing of the company within an environment of cost reduction. In particular, worked with the CEO to identify key leadership characteristics, the most appropriate organization structure to report to the CEO, and the development of new approaches to high potential identification and leadership development.
- For a Fortune 50 construction and agricultural manufacturing organization: Developed an integrated talent and total rewards strategy to streamline and align decentralized processes. Outcomes of this engagement included a new definition of the employment relationship and the development of new employment brand for the organization. Additionally, vendor selection, design and development of HR processes, and extensive implementation assistance over a three-year period was conducted to ensure that all HR programs and processes were aligned to the new employment relationship and the organization's business strategy.
- For a major merger in the manufacturing sector: Led the development of a new employment value proposition for the merged organization, identified synergy opportunities between the two legacy companies and partnered with the CHRO to craft a new HR strategy for the newly combined companies.
- For a major health system, led an organizational review of all corporate office functions, as well as a study to streamline the leadership organization for two of the system's medical centers. The study included identification of critical roles, assessment of responsibilities and overlaps, and documentation of both cost and service level impact. The study resulted in a significant rationalization of structure and responsibilities and led to a system-wide effort to enhance the employment value proposition and augment the system as an employer of choice for critically skilled talent.
Prior to joining Sibson, Mr. Conlon was a Principal at another major human resource consultancy. In addition, his prior experiences include responsibilities as a Business Manager and CFO for a sales and service organization and as a Corporate Services Representative for a major investment banking firm.
Mr. Conlon has a Bachelor's degree in Psychology and Social Relations from Harvard College, and has completed a Harvard University graduate fellowship with concentration in Business and Organizational Psychology. He also has earned certifications in Transition Management from William Bridges and Associates, and in Executive Coaching and Assessment from both the Alliance for Strategic Leadership and the Hogan Leadership Group.